So Many Roads …

[Pilgrim Sign]

Caution, Pilgrims!

For most of the time I was walking the Camino de Santiago, I thought it was a one-off journey. I loved it, but I didn’t think I’d ever actually do it again. That’s part of the reason I walked all the way from Le Puy to Santiago: I didn’t want my once-in-a-lifetime trip to end too soon.

But as soon as I walked into Santiago, I wanted to do it again—maybe on a different route this time. I’ve been researching various Camino routes intermittently since I got back to Canada two years ago. The Arles route and the one from Vezelay in France. The Camino del Norte (including some of its branch routes), the Via de la Plata, the Camino Mozárabe, the Camino Portugués, the Camino de Levante, and even more in Spain.

And then recently I’ve been talking with people who have walked other pilgrimage routes: Julie Burk and Neville Tencer, who walked the Via Francigena to Rome, and Mark Nienstaedt, who walked the Olavsleden (Saint Olav’s Way) from Oslo to Trondheim in Norway. Those two routes sounded so amazing that I had to add them to my list, too.

There’s also the 88 Temple pilgrimage in Shikoku, Japan, which I first heard of on the Camino, and a longer Route to Trondheim from the German border that Mark told me about. And as I keep going with this blog, I’m sure to learn of more places to walk.

It’s exciting to have such a long list, but it really makes me want to get going. And I need to save up some money first.

I guess patience is the lesson I’ll have to focus on while I’m stuck at home.

What about you? What route(s) do you want to walk next? Share your answers in the comments.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Google Buzz

Posted by Anna-Marie Krahn at 10:57 am
, , ,
6 Comments

6 Responses to So Many Roads …

1. Kenneth says:

Are there any routes in Canada worth considering? Just curious!

• Anna-Marie says:

While I was walking the Camino someone told me about two pilgrimage routes in Quebec. They sounded quite different from walking in Europe. Of course, there are great wilderness routes … but then you can’t stop for coffee every morning. 🙂

2. emilene says:

I know the feeling – when I started climbing up Kilimanjaro I thought this was going to be a once off experience and when it got really hard I asked myself, WHY am I doing this?? But the moment I stood at the top I knew this was definitely not going to be the last time that I’m going to do something like this!

I have a feeling the camino is going to be a similar experience – guess I’ll be walking and climbing until it’s physically impossible from now on! 🙂

3. Agnes says:

Le chemin de Paris! It was my first consideration but I had not enough time at that time. One of my friend walked that way. He told me walking the way is quite expensive because usually have to stay at hotel.
    In korea we have several pilgrimage routes but still developing.

• Anna-Marie says:

That sounds like a more difficult route than the Chemin du Puy—I don’t think it’s even a single route, is it? That would be amazing, though. You’ll have to tell me all about it when you do it.

I’d love to learn more about pilgrimage routes in Korea, too.